Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Alexander Korotkov' <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dmitry Ivanov <d(dot)ivanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2016-12-09 01:09:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Alexander
> Korotkov
> Yes. Getting at least some of this features committed to v10 would be great
> and improve partitioning usability a lot.

I'm sorry for not contributing to the real partitioning feature, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the efficient plan-time and run-time partition pruning implemented in v10. Recently, we failed to acquire a customer because they could not achieve their performance goal due to the slow partition pruning compared to Oracle. The batch app prepares a SELECT statement against a partitioned table, then executes it millions of time with different parameter values. It took a long time to process Bind messages.

Another requirement was subpartitioning. Will this be possible with the current infrastructure, or does this need drastic change?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa