Re: [RFC] How about changing the default value of defaultRowFetchSize?

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Dave Cramer' <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Jorge Solórzano <jorsol(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Vitalii Tymchyshyn" <vit(at)tym(dot)im>, Mark Rotteveel <mark(at)lawinegevaar(dot)nl>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] How about changing the default value of defaultRowFetchSize?
Date: 2016-10-25 03:15:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

From: davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com [mailto:davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com] On Behalf Of
> Dave Cramer
> This is what I take issue with. It should return 0 which means that it has
> not been set. What use is it to the user ?

I'm sorry to repeat myself. According to the API doc, the use of getFetchSize() is to retrieve the number of result set rows, not the hint value. So, I thought 0 was not appropriate because 0 is only a valid hint value passed to setFetchSize(). Which sentence in what document does your returning 0 follow?

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/sql/Statement.html

Retrieves the number of result set rows that is the default fetch size for ResultSet objects generated from this Statement object. If this Statement object has not set a fetch size by calling the method setFetchSize, the return value is implementation-specific.

Returns:the default fetch size for result sets generated from this Statement object

> 1000 has been determined to be optimal. Both Vladimir and I have done
> performance testing on this. Also it won't matter to the user, since if
> they only have 100 rows they will only get 100 rows back anyway. 1000 rows
> should be able to fit into any reasonable client machines memory

OK, agreed.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa