Re: data integrity

From: "Thomas J Keller" <kellert(at)ohsu(dot)edu>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data integrity
Date: 2007-03-30 22:02:38
Lists: pdxpug

An example of a data integrity issue is where my web form asks for
the PI last name and the client gives me both first and last name. Or
they put their name in the PI name field (PI stands for principle
investigator - the person who got the grant that we will charge
funded), or they put an extra digit in what should be an 8-digit
string if they are here at OHSU, but could be any length if they are
from somewhere else. Or they use a grant identifier (called an
"alias") that is valid but belongs to someone else. Stuff like that.

My biggest complaint about FMP is that it can't do rollbacks. So a
simple error can lead to catastrophic loss of data. Plus, in the last
few years they've wanted to charge for upgrades about every 6 months.
OHSU used to have a site license, but dropped it.

Thanks,

Tom K
kellert(at)ohsu(dot)edu
503-494-2442