Re: psql: add \pset true/false

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Marko Tiikkaja" <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: "PostgreSQL hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: add \pset true/false
Date: 2015-10-29 10:51:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marko Tiikkaja wrote:

> Since the default t/f output for booleans is not very user friendly,
> attached is a patch which enables you to do for example the following:

Personally I think it would be worth having, but how about
booleans inside ROW() or composite types ?

test=> \pset true 1
Boolean TRUE display is "1".
test=> \pset false 0
Boolean FALSE display is "0".

test #1:

test=> select 't'::bool,'f'::bool;
bool | bool
------+------
1 | 0

test #2:

test=> select ('t'::bool,'f'::bool);
row
-------
(t,f)

test #3:

test=> create type abc as (a bool, b bool, c bool);
test=> select (true,false,true)::abc;
row
---------
(t,f,t)

I understand that the patch translates t/f only if the output type
has the OID for bool, which is not the case in #2 or #3, but I guess
users would expect #2 to output (1,0) and #3 (1,0,1).

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite