CALL optional in PL/pgSQL

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CALL optional in PL/pgSQL
Date: 2018-03-01 04:51:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This seems to be a popular issue when porting from PL/SQL, so I'll throw
it out here for discussion. Apparently, in PL/SQL you can call another
procedure without the CALL keyword. Here is a patch that attempts to
implement that in PL/pgSQL as well. It's not very pretty.

I seem to recall that there were past discussions about this, with
respect to the PERFORM command, but I couldn't find them anymore.

Also, I think PL/SQL allows you to call a procedure with no arguments
without parentheses. I have not implemented that. I think it could be
done, but it's not very appealing.

If anyone has more details about the PL/SQL side of this, that would be
useful. What I could find is that using CALL and not using CALL appear
to be equivalent.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-PL-pgSQL-Allow-calling-procedures-without-CALL-keywo.patch text/plain 3.5 KB