Re: Problems with huge_pages and IBM Power8

From: reiner peterke <zedaardv(at)drizzle(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with huge_pages and IBM Power8
Date: 2016-04-13 17:25:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 10:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> On 2016-04-12 21:58:14 +0200, reiner peterke wrote:
>>> Looking for some insight into this issue. the error from the postgres
>>> log on ubuntu is below. It apperas to be related to semephores.
>
>> I've a bit of a hard time believing that this is related to huge pages.
>
> I'm betting that's this:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK7tEys9-O4BTERbs3Xuk2BfFNNd55u2sM9j5R2Fi7v6BHjrQw@mail.gmail.com
>
> regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

You appear to have been correct. :-)
The being led to believe it was connected to huge_pages turns out to have been a coincidence since we had been working with huge_pages.

Postgres happened to crash close enough to trying the huge_pages and did not appear to crash when they were disabled led us to make that conclusion.

After a bit more careful testing we found out that postgres did indeed crash even without huge_pages. The setting in the link appears to have resolved this issue.

Thanks.

reiner