Money reformatting

From: "Rich Ryan" <rich(at)usedcars(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Money reformatting
Date: 2001-12-13 08:09:50
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a price field of type 'money'. 90% of the time, the output format of
money $x.xx, is great. But occasionally I need to strip the $ and truncate
the decimal places, i.e. turn it into an int. Is there any easy way to do
this? None of the built-in postgres text formatting functions take the money
type as an arg. I tried type casting, but that didn't work either. I tried
to check the mail list archives, but it's been down for about 2-3 days.
Error I get is
An error occured!
connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused Is the postmaster
running (with -i) at 'db.postgresql.org' and accepting connections on TCP/IP
port 5437?

Thanks much,

Rich