Re: Issues with building snap packages and psql

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issues with building snap packages and psql
Date: 2016-10-27 16:24:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/26/2016 12:10 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 11:33 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Joshua D. Drake

>>> It is also inconsistent with how other programs behave. For example
>>> if psql
>>> uses readline, and you change the value of $HOME, then readline uses
>>> $HOME/.inputrc whereas psql does not use $HOME/.psqlrc.
>>
>> Sounds like the same issue that Rudolf Gavlas complained about in
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEH6cQqbdbXoUHJBbX9ixwfjFFsUC-a8hFntKcci=diWgBb3fQ@mail.gmail.com

This problem clearly an improper implementation on our part. We have
found a work around by wrapping the launch of psql so we can set PSQLRC.
At some point, perhaps with v10 we could change this. This problem has
been noted on other ends of the innertubes as well (we submitted this as
a potential bug to Ubuntu and they too found that we don't handle this
correctly).

Sincerely,

JD

--