Re: FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist

From: bob(dot)middaugh(at)comcast(dot)net (Bob Middaugh)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>;peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org (pgsql-ports)
Subject: Re: FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist
Date: 2007-08-16 18:43:37
Lists: pgsql-ports

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> bob(dot)middaugh(at)comcast(dot)net (Bob Middaugh) writes:
> > Exception in thread "main" org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Backend start-up
> failed: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist
>
> > I don't know what it's looking for. When you install the server from ports,
> it creates the user "pgsql" in /etc/passwd.
>
> FreeBSD is being a bit out of step here --- the default superuser name
> is "postgres" in most distros. If you can't persuade the OpenNMS
> installer to use a nonstandard superuser name, it's no big deal ---
> just create a second superuser role named "postgres". See the CREATE
> ROLE command, or use the "createuser" script.

Thank you both. I su'd to FreeBSD's pgsql user and did createuser which allowed me to add postgres and the OpenNMS script that sets up the DB ran successfully.

You're right Tom, other OS's I've seen referenced elsewhere in regards to postgresql seem to have postgres as the initial superuser. Why the FreeBSD ports maintainer for postgresql chooses pgsql...I dunno.

There is no FreeBSD package (binary), or port, for OpenNMS like there are for a few linux distro's. Hopefully, I'm good to go now, thanks to you guys. If I have any more questions, I'll direct them to your novice mailing list. I started with ports because I figured this was a FreeBSD 'centric ports issue.

Thanks for your help.

Bob