[PG13] Planning (time + buffers) data structure in explain plan (format text)

From: Pierre Giraud <pierre(dot)giraud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [PG13] Planning (time + buffers) data structure in explain plan (format text)
Date: 2020-08-07 12:30:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

As far as I understand, in the upcoming version 13, information about
buffers used during planning is now available in the explain plan.

[…]
Planning Time: 0.203 ms
Buffers: shared hit=14
[…]

In the JSON format, the data structure is a bit different:

[…]
"Planning": {
"Planning Time": 0.533,
"Shared Hit Blocks": 14,
"Shared Read Blocks": 0,
"Shared Dirtied Blocks": 0,
"Shared Written Blocks": 0,
"Local Hit Blocks": 0,
"Local Read Blocks": 0,
"Local Dirtied Blocks": 0,
"Local Written Blocks": 0,
"Temp Read Blocks": 0,
"Temp Written Blocks": 0
},
[…]

For a matter of consistency, I wonder if it would be possible to format
it like the following:

[…]
Planning:
Planning Time: 0.203 ms
Buffers: shared hit=14
[…]

Note: a similar way to format information is already used for JIT.

[…]
JIT:
Functions: 3
Deforming true
Timing: Generation 0.340 ms, Inlining 0.000 ms, Optimization 0.168
ms, Emission 1.907 ms, Total 2.414 ms
[…]

Regards,
Pierre