Re: Strange issue with initdb on 8.0 and Solaris automounts

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Kenneth Lareau" <elessar(at)numenor(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Strange issue with initdb on 8.0 and Solaris automounts
Date: 2005-01-27 23:28:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I tried that, and it just runs into the problem with the first sub dir
it tries to create:

ed9i03:/home/dparker/temp
% initdb -D /home/dparker/temp/testdb
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"dparker".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory /home/dparker/temp/testdb ...
ok
creating directory /home/dparker/temp/testdb/global ... initdb: could
not create directory "/home/dparker": Operation not applicable
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/home/dparker/temp/testdb"
ed9i03:/home/dparker/temp

truss:

chmod("/home/dparker/temp/testdb", 0700) = 0
ok
write(1, " o k\n", 3) = 3
creating directory /home/dparker/temp/testdb/global ... write(1, " c r e
a t i n g d i r".., 56) = 56
umask(0) = 077
umask(077) = 0
mkdir("/home", 0777) Err#17 EEXIST
xstat(2, "/home", 0x08045C20) = 0
mkdir("/home/dparker", 0777) Err#89 ENOSYS
umask(077) = 077
fstat64(2, 0x08045000) = 0
initdbwrite(2, " i n i t d b", 6) = 6
: could not create directory "write(2, " : c o u l d n o t ".., 30)
= 30
/home/dparkerwrite(2, " / h o m e / d p a r k e".., 13) = 13
": write(2, " " : ", 3) = 3
Operation not applicablewrite(2, " O p e r a t i o n n o".., 24)
= 24

- DAP