Re: query plan question

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: "Jeff" <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
Cc: "Russell Smith" <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query plan question
Date: 2004-11-17 14:43:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've got pg_autovacuum running on both platforms. I've verified that the
tables involved in the query have the same number of rows on both
databases.

I'm not sure where to look to see how the stats might be different. The
"good" database's pg_statistic table has 24 more rows than that in the
"bad" database, so there's definitely a difference. The good database's
pg_statistic has rows for 2 extra tables, but they are not tables
involved in the query in question...

So something must be up with stats, but can you tell me what the most
signicant columns in the pg_statistic table are for the planner making
its decision? I'm sure this has been discussed before, so if there's a
thread you can point me to, that would be great - I realize it's a big
general question.

Thanks for your time.

- DAP