Re: pg on windows server 2003 64 bit edition

From: "Ted Byers" <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
To: "teknokrat" <teknokrat(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg on windows server 2003 64 bit edition
Date: 2007-02-12 15:56:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

I do not know about Windows server 2003, because I don't have it, but I DO
have the 64 bit version of Windows XP pro (and it seems to be much more
responsive that its 32 bit counterpart on the AMD Turion64 in my system),
and Postgresql works fine on it. As for the amount of memory, I have only
2GB RAM, but that still works fine for me. Being 32 bit, postgesql will
almost certainly not take direct advantage of more than 4 GB of data, but if
at least part of it works by spawning new threads or processes, use of more
than 4 GB would be more a question of how the OS handles it, would it not?
But if you don't need it to access more than 4 GB of memory, you should have
no problems running it.

Unless Windows Server 2003 is radically different from XP, you should be
fine based on what I have seen, at least if you use a binary distribution.
I haven't tried compiling Postgresql myself, and I have not been able to get
cygwin to install on 64 bit Windows. I would have thought cygwin programs
would run like any other 32 bit app, but they don't. One of the things I
look at is how 64 bit versions of an application behave relative to their 32
bit counterparts. I can do this with Perl (the 64 bit version from
Activestate doesn't have any CPAN packages or even provide a way to find
them, the CPAN executable runs but doesn't know about any archives, and when
I tried pointing at 32 bit archives, the installation always failed), PHP,
MS Visual studio and MS SQL Server, and MySQL. The bottom line is that the
32 bit Windows binary for Postgresql seems to work like any other 32 bit
Windows application. But if you want it to directly use more than 4 GB
memory, you probably need to build a 64 bit version yourself, with all the
headaches that entails.

HTH

Ted