RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS

From: "Hou, Zhijie" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)cn(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Luc Vlaming <luc(at)swarm64(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Date: 2020-12-14 12:14:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

> Attaching v11 patch set. Please review it further.

Currently with the patch, we can allow parallel CTAS when topnode is Gather.
When top-node is Append and Gather is the sub-node of Append, I think we can still enable
Parallel CTAS by pushing Parallel CTAS down to the sub-node Gather, such as:

Append
------>Gather
--------->Create table
------------->Seqscan
------>Gather
--------->create table

And the use case seems common to me, such as:
select * from A where xxx union all select * from B where xxx;

I attatch a WIP patch which just show the possibility of this feature.
The patch is based on the latest v11-patch.

What do you think?

Best regards,
houzj

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-patch-for-pctas-in-append.patch application/octet-stream 6.2 KB