Orphaned files in the subdirectory of the database

From: "David Alexander Krois" <dakrois(at)s-can(dot)at>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Orphaned files in the subdirectory of the database
Date: 2011-07-27 08:53:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am working with a small psql database (<1GB) of version 8.3.3 on an
industrial application. The OS is Windows xp embedded.

To keep the database in size, I schedule vacuum full and reindex in my
program once a day. When I experienced disk size shortage, I found files
of ~50MB in the subdirectory of my database (in \data\base\<oid of my
db>\), which were (seemingly) not touched by vacuum/reindex (last
modified date older then of the other files). I checked them with
oid2name - they are not in the database.

Can anybody tell me, what these orphaned files are, where they come
from, and how to proceed with them? Is it safe to delete them?

Thanks in advance,

David Krois

"YES WE SCAN !"
NEW ! > pH-independent Chlorine Sensor <
The chlori::lyser is a revolutionary pH- and flow- independent sensor for monitoring free chlorine or total chlorine. The digital sensor runs on RS485-Modbus, comes works-calibrated, and allows simple "plug & measure" functionality on all s::can terminals, panels, and software. It's internal buffer electrolyte allows pH-independent measurement between pH 4 to 10+, and it's 3 electrode system provides extremely stable readings, even at high fluctuations of pH, temperature and flow - with only a minimal requirement for maintenance. plug&measure installation on an s::can panel is recommended. Combine it with our pH, conductivity in just one flow-cell and on one panel, or combine with one of our turbidity or spectral sensors on an extra panel, and you will own the most cost efficient, compact and reliable solution for your water monitoring purpose available today, at practically zero running costs.

For more information please visit our website http://www.s-can.at or call your local dealer.

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
<http://www.s-can.at/>

<SALES(at)s-can(dot)at> Verkauf / Sales
<ACCOUNTING(at)s-can(dot)at> Rechnungen / Invoicing
<OFFICE(at)s-can(dot)at> Administration / Office
<MARKETING(at)s-can(dot)at> Marketing
<SUPPORT(at)s-can(dot)at> Technische Unterstuetzung / Technical Support
<SERVICE(at)s-can(dot)at> Reparaturen / Repairs
<PROCUREMENT(at)s-can(dot)at> Einkauf / Procurement
<JOBS(at)s-can(dot)at> Bewerbungen / Jobs
<LEGAL(at)s-can(dot)at> Rechtsfragen / Legal questions

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

Haftungserklaerung / Disclaimer
Der Inhalt dieses E-Mails ist rein informativ und spiegelt nicht notwendigerweise den Standpunkt der Firma s::can Messtechnik GmbH wieder. Sollten Sie eine verbindliche Auskunft benoetigen, wenden Sie sich bitte an LEGAL(at)s-can(dot)at(dot)
This electronic message does not necessarily reflect the official point of view of s::can Messtechnik GmbH and is considered as informal information. To receive a formally binding answer we invite you to contact LEGAL(at)s-can(dot)at(dot)