Re: Frequently unable connecting to db "server doesn't listen"

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Net Tree Inc(dot) <nettreeinc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frequently unable connecting to db "server doesn't listen"
Date: 2009-04-20 08:53:46
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

On Apr 20, 2009, at 4:10 AM, Net Tree Inc. wrote:
> The problem I am having has happened a few times within in a week. I
> am repeatly not able to connect to the db and having "server doesn't
> listen" message without touch anything, it just happen. First time
> it happen after I restarting my computer that has not been restart
> for almost a month. After restarting and trying to connect to DB and
> it failed,

> also I notice my computer can not be restart nor shutdown under the
> normal way by click on "start menu" and "shutdown or restart". I can
> only shut it down use the hard way by pressing the power button, I
> don't know why, but its another story.

That's probably a (maybe _the_) cause of your troubles. After the DB
was shut down the hard way it will probably be in recovery mode the
next time you start it. You can't connect to the DB while it's in
recovery mode.

I think the first thing you need to focus on is to find out why you
can't shut down your system normally. If you can't find a solution for
that, at least stop the PostgreSQL service (I'm guessing the name, I
don't have PG on my game box) before you press the power button.

> Therefore for DB, I only can fix it by uninstall and reinstall
> PostgreSQL. But it happening repeatly.

Reinstalling shouldn't be necessary, it's probably enough to wait
until recovery is complete. The logs can tell you what's going on.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,49ec3820129741572128411!