Re: ReadOnly

From: "Tony Simopoulos" <karkalis(at)earthling(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ReadOnly
Date: 2001-01-10 19:19:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

well, after no help, i managed to fix my own problem.

i am extremely bitter about this whole experience, i have half a mind not to share my solution.

the long and short of the problem, is that my odbc.ini file contained a tab character as white space, after the ReadOnly key, just
before the '=' sign.

i only found this problem looking through the code, trying to figure out why the ReadOnly key was consistently being missed.

i would classify this as a BUG, and i'm highly surprised that nobody else has come across it. should this behaviour be intentional,
why is it not documented in the manual??

i did some more checking and found an email posting from september 1999, where someone provided a HACK to use libiodbc's version of
SQLGetPrivateProfile functions, claiming that postgresql's native version was 'buggy' particularly wrt to tabs. some follow up
postings did not include a plan to merge these efforts with the source tree, nor to correct the apparent *bugs*.

in short the code that implements SQLGetPrivateProfile in the odbc driver code provided with the postgresql package is terrible. i
checked both mysql and libiodbc implementations of the same set of functions .. the code was far cleaner. also, that code treated
tabs following the key name as whitespace as should be expected.

1 1/2 years later, i hope these bugs finally get fixed, or the *special* behaviour finally documented.

thanks,

tonys.

> my problem persists .. anybody?!?!?!?!?!?
>
> > ok,
> >
> > i have finally broken down and decided to ask for some help. i have looked for relevant sections in the manual, scanned previous
> > posts, and searched the entire web for help .. all to no avail.
> >
> > i CANNOT get non-readonly access to pgsql through iODBC on my FreeBSD box. (from my windows box, this is not a challenge).
when