Re: faster ETL / bulk data load for heap tables

From: Luc Vlaming <luc(at)swarm64(dot)com>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: faster ETL / bulk data load for heap tables
Date: 2021-01-02 10:09:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01-01-2021 19:55, Zhihong Yu wrote:
> Hi, Luc:
> Happy New Year.
>
> Looking at BufferAllocExtend()
> in v1-0002-WIP-buffer-alloc-specialized-for-relation-extensi.patch. it
> seems there is duplicate code with the existing BufferAlloc().
>
> It would be good if some refactoring is done by extracting common code
> into a helper function.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

Thanks! Happy new year to you too!

Thanks for your suggestion. I would wait a bit and first get some
feedback on the design/approach of my patches before doing the
refactoring. The current code is very much a WIP where I just copied
functions to be able to make specialized variants of them aimed at bulk
extension and then benchmark those. If the refactoring needs to be done
before I can get feedback on the design / approach then let me know.

Kind regards,
Luc