Re: Netapp SnapCenter

From: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Wolff, Ken L" <ken(dot)l(dot)wolff(at)lmco(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Netapp SnapCenter
Date: 2020-06-20 07:04:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Stephen,

> On 19. Jun, 2020, at 18:02, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> When it comes to 'backup mode', it's actually the case that there can be
> multiple backups running concurrently because there isn't actually a
> single 'cluster wide backup mode', really.

this is what I don't understand. Why would there be a reason to run multiple backups concurrently? I mean, using pg_start_backup() means I then have to backup (using whatever method) of the while PGDATA and not just some random file ${PGDATA}/base/13297/2685. And since I have to backup the whole of PGDATA anyway, why would I want to do that multiple times, even more so, concurrently?

I read the backup doc but I just can't grasp the idea of why multiple concurrent backup capabilities should yield any benefit at all.

Cheers,
Paul