broken backup trail in case of quickly patroni switchback and forth

From: "Zwettler Markus (OIZ)" <Markus(dot)Zwettler(at)zuerich(dot)ch>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: broken backup trail in case of quickly patroni switchback and forth
Date: 2019-11-07 13:52:34
Lists: pgsql-general

we are using Patroni for management of our Postgres standby databases.

we take our (wal) backups on the primary side based on intervals and thresholds.
our archived wal's are written to a local wal directory first and moved to tape afterwards.

we got a case where Patroni switched back and forth sides quickly, e.g.:
12:00h: primary - standby
12:05h: standby - primary
12:10h: primary - standby

we realised that we will not have a wal backup of those wal's generated between 12:05h and 12:10h in this scenario.

how can we make sure that the whole wal sequence trail will be backuped? any idea?

- Markus