Re: Silence Meson warning on HEAD

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Silence Meson warning on HEAD
Date: 2024-04-04 09:33:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02.04.24 01:46, Tristan Partin wrote:
> A warning was recently[0] introduced into the Meson build:
>
> WARNING: Project targets '>=0.54' but uses feature introduced in
> '0.55.0': Passing executable/found program object to script parameter of
> add_dist_script
>
> There are 3 way to solve the issue that I have laid out in 3 separate
> patches that you pick at your leisure:
>
> 1. version-check.diff
>
> Wrap the offending line in a Meson version check.

I committed this.

> 2. perl-string.diff
>
> Pass the perl program as a string via its .path() method.

The problem with this is that it doesn't contain any information why the
workaround is used, and then if we increase the meson version and clean
up all the version checks, we won't find this one.

> 3. meson-bump.diff
>
> Bump the minimum meson version from 0.54 to 0.55, at least.

I think the beginning of the next dev cycle would be a good time to bump
the meson version. For now, I'm content to leave it alone.