Re: Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick? EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Has anyone seen this marketing gimmick? EnterpriseDB vs MySQL vs MariaDB
Date: 2017-09-12 20:15:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 09/12/2017 05:11 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Darren, all,

>> It could be worse. They could decline to mention Postgres at all
>> (just as they declined to mention several other open source DBMSs).
>
> Unfortunately, they aren't really talking about PG there, it would seem.

They aren't, they are talking about products of which PG is not.

> Or, if they are, they've completely misunderstood that PG is not one
> company's product but rather an independent open source project which
> has lots of companies contributing to it.

The audience isn't FOSS developers, or FOSS community, it is companies.
Companies (except in our very narrow view of the world) want products
not projects.

It is pretty standard and it just shows how well EnterpriseDB has
penetrated the commercial market. They are by far the number one name in
the Postgres "product" space.

Thanks,

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us