Re: We probably need autovacuum_max_wraparound_workers

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We probably need autovacuum_max_wraparound_workers
Date: 2012-06-28 02:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 27, 2012, at 22:00, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Yeah, I can't believe I'm calling for *yet another* configuration
> variable either. Suggested workaround fixes very welcome.
>
> The basic issue is that autovacuum_max_workers is set by most users
> based on autovac's fairly lightweight action most of the time: analyze,
> vacuuming pages not on the visibility list, etc. However, when XID
> wraparound kicks in, then autovac starts reading entire tables from disk
> ... and those tables may be very large.
>
> This becomes a downtime issue if you've set autovacuum_max_workers to,
> say, 5 and several large tables hit the wraparound threshold at the same
> time (as they tend to do if you're using the default settings). Then
> you have 5 autovacuum processes concurrently doing heavy IO and getting
> in each others' way.
>
> I've seen this at two sites now, and my conclusion is that a single
> autovacuum_max_workers isn't sufficient if to cover the case of
> wraparound vacuum. Nor can we just single-thread the wraparound vacuum
> (i.e. just one worker) since that would hurt users who have thousands of
> small tables.

Would there be enough benefit to setting up separate small/medium?/large thresholds with user-changeable default table size boundaries so that you can configure 6 workers where 3 handle the small tables, 2 handle the medium tables, and 1 handles the large tables. Or alternatively a small worker consumes 1, medium 2, and large 3 'units' from whatever size pool has been defined. So you could have 6 small tables or two large tables in-progress simultaneously.

David J.