How do I set up automatic backups?

From: "Rob Richardson" <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How do I set up automatic backups?
Date: 2008-07-29 20:24:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings again!

A few days ago, I visited a customer's site to talk about administering
our system, which is developed around a PostGres database. One of the
topics was how to back up the database. I described the process of
using PgAdmin to back up and restore a database, and I said a backup
should be done every night. I was asked how to automate the procedure,
and I couldn't answer. A database administrator said, "There's got to
be a way. Otherwise, PostGres wouldn't have survived". I agree with
him. The only answers I've found on the Internet involve creating a
password-less account and using that to run pg_dump. What is the
official best way to automatically back up a PostGres database?

Thank you very much.

RobR