Re: Modern non-.Net provider?

From: "Rob Richardson" <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Modern non-.Net provider?
Date: 2011-06-28 14:29:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, after reading it, I
realize that I mis-stated my question. My question is actually not
PostgreSQL-specific, so if there's a better place to ask, please let me
know.

Our applicaton relies on DSNs. A DSN associates a given name with a
database and its provider. So, we can have a DSN named "MyPostgres"
associated with a database named "MyPostgresDatabase" and the latest
psqlODBC provider, and we can have a second DSN named "MySQLServer"
associated with a database named "MySQLServerDatabase" and whatever
driver that database would need. Our application asks the user for a
DSN name, and that name is the only information needed to decide which
database to connect to. My application would be linked with a library
that would connect to the database using the DSN, and would provide the
standard database functions like AddNew(), Update(), Delete(),
MoveFirst(), MoveNext() and so on.

I am looking for a library that provides those database functions. The
Microsoft-supplied adodb.dll library has bugs. Its most irritating bug
is a tendency to thrown an error saying "Query-based update failed
because the row to update could not be found", despite the fact that the
data being updated includes key information. This library is probably
approaching 20 years old. I presume something better exists, and I
would greatly appreciate help in finding it.

Thanks again!

RobR