Backup questions

From: "Jason Tesser" <JTesser(at)nbbc(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Backup questions
Date: 2004-07-29 16:09:07
Lists: pgsql-general

I have 2 questions.

1. What is the best way to back up a production box running Postgres
nightly?

2. I thought the best way was to create a script that would use pg_dump
create a dump every night and then use restore if I need to. I did this
but
I am having a problem. Apparently there were a few Primary key Big
Serial
fields that had the name changed on them after they were created. The
backup works fine but during the restore it fails because it thinks
a relation is missing. Before restoring the database with the changed
fields works fine, I just cannot get it to restore. Is there something
in the background that Postgres is hanging on to after I renamed the
fields that is preventing me from restoring? How can I work around
this?

Thank you
Jason Tesser
Software Development