Windows to Linux PostgreSQL Migration

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Windows to Linux PostgreSQL Migration
Date: 2011-02-01 21:44:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have just done a multi-part migration and am having difficulty viewing
binary content stored in a "bytea" field; specifically I stored a PDF in the
existing setup and now receive a "File does not begin with '%PDF-'" message
when I go to pull it up from the new setup.

The specific migration is as follows:

Existing: Windows 2000 (32bit); PostgreSQL 8.2

New: Ubuntu 10.10 (64bit); PostgreSQL 9.0

To migrate the data I did the following:

Pg_dump (v 8.3) from the existing Windows (32) Machine into a dump file on
an NTFS file system.

Pg_restore (v 9.0) from a different Windows (64) machine from the dump file
into the running Linux (64) server.

Using the same application software and JRE (Tomcat container) I attempted
to view the files as normal (using Firefox on a Windows Machine) and the
"File does not begin with '%PDF-'" message appears.

I can think of some possible variations and causes for this but figured
before I go running for the cliff I'd see if anyone can at least point me in
the right direction.

Thank You

David Johnston