Re: Domains and arrays and composites, oh my

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Domains and arrays and composites, oh my
Date: 2017-09-28 18:58:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/28/2017 01:02 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I do think that treating a function returning a domain-over-composite
>> differently from one returning a base composite is a POLA. We'd be very
>> hard put to explain the reasons for it to an end user.
> Do you have any thoughts about how we ought to resolve that?

Not offhand. Maybe we need to revisit the decision not to modify the
executor at all. Obviously that would make the patch a good deal more
invasive ;-(  One thought I had was that we could invent a new return
type of TYPEFUNC_DOMAIN_COMPOSITE so there would be less danger of a PL
just treating it as an unconstrained base type as it might do if it saw
TYPEFUNC_COMPOSITE.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a strong suspicion that of we leave it like
this now we'll regret it in the future.

cheers

andrew

--