Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: libpq and prepared statements progress for 8.0
Date: 2004-09-20 16:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sep 20, 2004, at 12:34 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think we should favor libpq usage wherever possible and only
> re-implement it in the native language when required, like for
> jdbc/java.
> I think having all interfaces take advantage of libpq improvements and
> features is a major win. If we need to add things to libpq to make it
> easier, fine, but that is minor work compared to maintaining separate
> wire protocol for each interface language.

I don't normally post "me too" posts, but I think that what Bruce says
here is extremely important. The more drivers can rely on a single,
well-developed, and stable API to create a variety of drivers, the less
work *everyone* has to do. I think that this kind of pragmatic
componentization (to coin a phrase) can only be to the benefit of
PostgreSQL.

Regards,

David

PS: And for those who really want a Pure Perl implementation of a
PostgreSQL driver in Perl, I suggest you take a look at helping out
with DBD::PgPP:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-PgPP/