Re: Logical replication and inheritance

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical replication and inheritance
Date: 2017-04-05 12:25:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

After thinking about it some more, I think the behavior we want would be
that changes to inheritance would reflect in the publication membership.
So if you have a partitioned table, adding more partitions over time
would automatically add them to the publication.

We could implement this either by updating pg_publication_rel as
inheritance changes, or perhaps more easily by checking and expanding
inheritance in the output plugin/walsender. There might be subtle
behavioral differences between those two approaches that we should think
through. But I think one of these two should be done.