Re: Insertion Sort Improvements

From: Benjamin Coutu <ben(dot)coutu(at)zeyos(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insertion Sort Improvements
Date: 2023-05-23 09:10:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

I would like to revisit the discussion and concur with John's perspective that incremental progress through small, successive modifications is the appropriate approach to move forward. Therefore, I would like to propose two distinct ideas aimed at enhancing the functionality of insertion sort:

1. Implementation of a more efficient variant (as described in the introductory part of this thread):

------------ OLD ------------

for (pm = a + ST_POINTER_STEP; pm < a + n * ST_POINTER_STEP;
pm += ST_POINTER_STEP)
for (pl = pm; pl > a && DO_COMPARE(pl - ST_POINTER_STEP, pl) > 0;
pl -= ST_POINTER_STEP)
DO_SWAP(pl, pl - ST_POINTER_STEP);

------------ NEW ------------

for (
pm = a + ST_POINTER_STEP;
pm < a + n * ST_POINTER_STEP;
pm += ST_POINTER_STEP
) {
ST_POINTER_TYPE tmp = *pm;

for (
pl = pm - ST_POINTER_STEP;
pl >= a && DO_COMPARE(pl, &tmp) > 0;
pl -= ST_POINTER_STEP
)
*(pl + ST_POINTER_STEP) = *pl;

*(pl + ST_POINTER_STEP) = tmp;
}

------------

2. It appears that there is a consensus against disregarding the presorted check, despite its questionable value. In light of this, an alternative suggestion is to integrate the presorted check into the insertion sort path by utilizing an unbounded insertion sort. Only after a maximum number of swaps have occurred should we abandon the sorting process. If insertion sort is executed on the entire array without any swaps, we can simply return. If not, and we continue with quicksort after the swap limit has been reached, we at least have left the array in a more sorted state, which may likely be advantageous for subsequent iterations.

------------ OLD ------------

if (n < 7)
{
for (pm = a + ST_POINTER_STEP; pm < a + n * ST_POINTER_STEP;
pm += ST_POINTER_STEP)
for (pl = pm; pl > a && DO_COMPARE(pl - ST_POINTER_STEP, pl) > 0;
pl -= ST_POINTER_STEP)
DO_SWAP(pl, pl - ST_POINTER_STEP);
return;
}
presorted = 1;
for (pm = a + ST_POINTER_STEP; pm < a + n * ST_POINTER_STEP;
pm += ST_POINTER_STEP)
{
DO_CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS();
if (DO_COMPARE(pm - ST_POINTER_STEP, pm) > 0)
{
presorted = 0;
break;
}
}
if (presorted)
return;

------------ NEW ------------

#define LIMIT_SWAPS 30 /* to be determined empirically */

int swaps = 0;

for (pm = a + ST_POINTER_STEP; pm < a + n * ST_POINTER_STEP;
pm += ST_POINTER_STEP)
for (pl = pm; pl > a && DO_COMPARE(pl - ST_POINTER_STEP, pl) > 0;
pl -= ST_POINTER_STEP) {
DO_SWAP(pl, pl - ST_POINTER_STEP);

if (++swaps == LIMIT_SWAPS)
goto quicksort;
}

if (swaps == 0)
return;

quicksort:

Naturally, both modifications (with point 2 being highly speculative) are currently independent of each other, and it is also crucial to benchmark the combined variant as well as different values for LIMIT_SWAPS.
I would greatly appreciate assistance in benchmarking these proposed changes. Your collaboration in this matter would be invaluable.

Cheers, Ben