Reg: Changing Column type

From: "sandhya" <sandhyar(at)amiindia(dot)co(dot)in>
To: "postgre" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "sandhya" <sandhyar(at)amiindia(dot)co(dot)in>
Subject: Reg: Changing Column type
Date: 2005-11-15 11:52:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

When i am tring to change the column type from character/Varchar to "int" i am getting error like,

ERROR: column "fname" cannot be cast to type "int4"

I can able to change the column type to "int " if the old datatype is double etc.
Even a "int" datatype also i can able to conver to "char"
and why not viceversa....Please tell me where the problem is.
Suggest me what to do to convert a "char" datatype to "int".

Thanks&Regards,
Sandhya