Re: Draft #7: yet more dramatic changes

From: "Ned Lilly" <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>
To: "Sean Chittenden" <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft #7: yet more dramatic changes
Date: 2003-08-19 18:56:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> > > Pardon the ignorance, but why Panama City? -sc
> >
> > That's where the main www.postgresql.org servers are currently
> > hosted. They used to be in Toronto, which was why our press
> > releases said "TORONTO, CANADA".
>
> :-/ Got it... I thought you'd just picked some random city after the
> comment that Marc/Tom made (that I thought was in jest!) about Marc
> flying to Panama to fix the servers: it never occurred to me that
> things were actually hosted out of there. Given the lack of a legal
> presence of a person in Panama and the two contacts listed being from
> the states, why not use Redwood City? People's eyes are trained to
> look for database/Ora bits when they see Redwood City, Panama and I'd
> wager that most people think of drug trafficking.

With no offense intended to our law-abiding Panamanian users ;-)

I actually agree with Sean. It would be fun to put Redwood Shores (not City) to tweak Oracle, if everyone has the stomach for that. If the judgment is that's too cute, though, I'd suggest leaving the location off altogether. The Panama thing just gets in the way.