Re: hello

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hello
Date: 2004-05-11 07:20:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Merlin, good to have you aboard :-)

Yes, the cursor based *query tool* is marked as controversial. Andreas &
I have always had a differing of opinion over what it's true purpose is
(and I don't think either of us are actually wrong if you know what I
mean). Iirc, Andreas' main objection to using cursors is that he likes
to use the query tool to refine queries, and if it's using cursors he
can't properly assess the speed gains of one query over another.

That argument doesn't apply to the view data tool though - I see no
reason why that cannot be made cursor based. If you're working on it
anyway, the ability to copy/paste 1 or more rows both back into the
table and into external spreadsheets etc. would be nice!! <grin>

Regards, Dave.

  • Re: hello at 2004-05-11 11:08:27 from Andreas Pflug