Re: Deploying ODBC for Postgres

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Benjamin Scherrey" <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deploying ODBC for Postgres
Date: 2002-11-17 20:48:28
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Ben,

You can do this through a login script and/or regedit. Copy the
psqlodbc.dll to the windows system directory on each PC, then insert the
appropriate registry settings. You will need to install those for the
driver and the DSN - some sample registry entries are shown below. One
thing to watch out for, non-admins cannot usually write these entries on
w2k/xp due to the default permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Another option is to use msiexec.exe from the command line/login script
to automatically run the psqlodbc installer, in silent mode. Check the
Microsoft documentation for the msiexec command line options.

Regards, Dave.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\MyDSN]
"Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\psqlodbc.dll"
"Description"=""
"Database"="template1"
"Servername"="postgresql"
"Port"="5432"
"Username"=""
"Password"=""
"ReadOnly"="0"
"ShowOidColumn"="0"
"FakeOidIndex"="0"
"RowVersioning"="0"
"ShowSystemTables"="0"
"Protocol"="6.4"
"ConnSettings"=""
"DisallowPremature"="0"
"UpdatableCursors"="0"
"LFConversion"="1"
"TrueIsMinus1"="0"
"Fetch"="100"
"CommLog"="1"
"Debug"="0"
"Optimizer"="1"
"Ksqo"="1"
"UniqueIndex"="1"
"UseDeclareFetch"="0"
"UnknownSizes"="0"
"TextAsLongVarchar"="1"
"UnknownsAsLongVarchar"="0"
"BoolsAsChar"="1"
"Parse"="0"
"CancelAsFreeStmt"="0"
"MaxVarcharSize"="254"
"MaxLongVarcharSize"="8190"
"ExtraSysTablePrefixes"="dd_;"
"BI"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC Data Sources]
"MyDSN"="PostgreSQL"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers]
"PostgreSQL"="Installed"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL]
"UsageCount"=dword:00000001
"Driver"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\psqlodbc.dll"
"Setup"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\psqlodbc.dll"
"SQLLevel"="1"
"DriverODBCVer"="02.50"
"FileUsage"="0"
"APILevel"="1"