Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Rewriting the website)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ricardo Ryoiti S(dot) Junior" <suga(at)netbsd(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Rewriting the website)
Date: 2004-01-15 08:33:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

We do. We point to the top of the PostgreSQL site whereever it is on the
mirror.

> Dave, would we have to update all the mirror sites directory
> layouts in the mirror system?

Yes. You would also likely lose many of the larger mirrors who are
unlikely to change the disk layouts simply because some ppl don't like
the directory in which they have mirrored our content - for example, the
mirror at ftp://ftp2.uk.postgresql.org/sites/www.postgresql.org/ is
hosted by a large UK academic site for the UK - they are unlikely to
change their layout because we don't like it.

On the subject of virtual hosts, as far as I'm aware, there is no
support for such a feature in the ftp protocol, thus it must be
implemented using individual IP addresses for each virtual host. I
suspect few, if any of the mirror providers would want to do that -
especially the ones using load balancers (such as ftp2.uk).

Regards, Dave.