Re: gforge

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gforge
Date: 2003-11-27 08:37:37
Lists: pgsql-www

The design doesn't lend itself to a site the size of www.postgresql.org.
It's all done using php's gettext implementation, which is fine in
itself, but every html page is a mass of gettext calls, one for each
paragraph for maximum flexibility. That's fine on that site where there
are only about 6 pages, but we have around 10000 on www.postgresql.org.

> > Probably better people to ask would be Robert or Chris K-L, as they
> > actively chose sf.net as an alternative to GBorg.
> >

> I think the original rational for it was that great bridge
> had shut things down, so things were switched to sourceforge
> and when gborg came up there was no reason to switch back.
>
> speaking from a personal standpoint as someone who is a
> member of projects on both sites and has looked at the
> backend code for both sites, I do feel the sourceforge code
> is superior to the gborg code.

I'm sure sf.net has a lot more (paid) resources to put into it. From my
pov, I find sf.net to be over complex and confusing, but maybe that's
just me...

> from a project standpoint I
> think the information is laid out better both per project and
> on the site as a whole... for example the is no way to search
> for a specific project on gborg.. another example is the urls
> for each given project, compare:
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/projdisplay.php
> vs. http://sourceforge.net/projects/phppgadmin/

You can omit the projdisplay.php, and I'm sure that 'projects' could be
symlinked to 'project'

Regards, Dave.

  • Re: gforge at 2003-12-01 18:26:09 from Chris Ryan