Re: gforge

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gforge
Date: 2003-11-26 15:28:20
Lists: pgsql-www

As an example, Chris had added options to allow us to hide various bits
of the site for some projects (see psqlodbc for example, various bits
such as mailing lists, feature requests and bug reports are turned off.
Likewise for pgweb).

I can't see what each project can do on gforge either as my registration
confirmation email has yet to arrive after a number of hours :-(

> > A few thoughts:
> >
> > - What are you going to do about existing projects? Force
> them to move
> > or end up with 2 projeect sites. Bear in mind that some of the more
> > important ones (libpqxx, npgsql etc.) may not want to move.
>
> cross-linkage between the two shouldn't be a problem ... add
> a project to gforge for libpqxx and have it pointing to gborg ...

Yes, but what a mess.

> > - If ppl move site, then there will be potentially massive
> migration
> > of user lists to handle.
>
> Actually, that isn't a big issue ... both use CVS and both
> use mailman, so moving files from gborg to gforge is simple ...

Tell that to all the users who will have new list addresses etc.

> Right now, I'm just playing with gforge based on discussions
> on Advocacy ... since I don't use either, its no skin off my
> back which we use. But, every time that someone suggests to
> a project to put it up on gborg, there is generally a long
> thread of "but it doesn't do this, its to rigid in that" that
> goes on before the whole thread is drop'd ...

I don't recall ever seeing one of those threads but then I don't read
-general or -advocacy.

What exactly is wrong with GBorg? Can't we fix it? I just feel that
there would be no way around having two project sites which would just
seem ridiculous to anyone who doesn't know the history, or a helluva
mess changing over 136 projects and 3516 users to a new system.

Regards, Dave.

  • Re: gforge at 2003-11-26 15:43:48 from Marc G. Fournier