Re: View column defaults in pgAdminIII

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: View column defaults in pgAdminIII
Date: 2003-10-13 14:17:57
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

You're welcome, glad you like it!

> a) I'd really like the view DDL to include the CRLF's that I
> had put for formatting convenience in the original view
> creation statement, rather than have the pgAdminIII just
> insert them at pre-defined, generically appropriate places
> (which looks like before each major key word of a SELECT
> statement). When I want to review or modify a view
> definition, I often end up having to navigate with the
> right-arrow key through the view and inserting a CRLF before
> each view column, for instance.

Unfortunately this is not possible because PostgreSQL doesn't retain the
original SQL entered (see the many discussions about this on the
pgsql-hackers list for details).

> b) Include in the view definition DDL any column defaults.
> When I do a pg_dump -t myview... at the server console, the
> output includes not only the view DDL, rules, and
> permissions, but also column defaults. Would be nice for the
> sake of completeness to see the column defaults in the
> pgAdminIII DDL also.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Views don't have column defaults, only
the underlying relations do. How would you expect that to be expressed
in SQL (which pg_dump didn't do when I tried it btw)?

Regards, Dave.