Re: query builder / system objects

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "efesar" <efesar(at)nmia(dot)com>, "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query builder / system objects
Date: 2003-03-04 11:01:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Excellent - yes, I would love to see it.

> after you see the exec, and if you like where i'm going with
> the query builder, i can make a patch. i've made a lot of
> code changes. mostly i added several classes, but i found
> some bugs that i tweaked in the main code ... the only reason
> i changed them is because i needed the functionality for my
> component. also, i added some system settings functions and
> what not to store the query builder size and position. etc ad nauseum.

Sounds good.

> let me know. thanks again.
>
> ps as for the cache ... i'll think on it. i really hadn't
> even given cache much thought, i'm just running raw queries.
> i know, that's probably bad. :)

<cringe>!! That's how pgAdmin I used to do it veeerrrryyy
ssssslllooowwwllyyy :-)

The idea with pgAdmin II was that everything was accessed through
pgSchema. It built it's own object hierarchy upon first access of any
collection within it, so if you need to list all functions, if they were
already there, no additional database communications were required. The
idea in pgAdmin III was that this was all done through the treeview
(because each object is attached to the appropriate node), which again
is built upon demand. Thinking about it though, I'm not sure if that
will work anyway, for example, what if the first access to a branch of
the hierarchy is not made by the user...

Hmm. Needs some thought.

Regards, Dave.