Re: Google Summer of Code: Full Disjunctions

From: "Tzahi Fadida" <tzahi(dot)ml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <ana_cata_hylo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code: Full Disjunctions
Date: 2006-05-12 22:00:17
Lists: pgsql-general

If only all the FD problems would have the same difficulty, Rajaraman & Ullman paper
tries to solve. Their paper is actually trying to pinpoint where you can no longer use
your standard SQL tools to compute the FD. Commonly, as a rule of thumb, if you
have a cycle in your scheme graph, you can no longer use Rajaraman & Ullman
method (with some delicate exceptions)
of using a series of natural outer joins to compute the FD which is very fast and
simple. However, in the general case where you have cycles you can forget about it.
The problem becomes very hard to compute and I wouldn't suggest it for huge relations.
My work is to see how we can alleviate the common troubles but the problem is still hard.

> > It can never be a binary operation since at the heart of
> the matter is that you need to take
> > each subset of the relations and join them. i.e.:
> > Usually binary operations allow for a bottom up computation
> approach, but FD is a TOP down approach
> > (Galindo-Legaria, C. outerjoins as disjunctions).
>
> Right, thanks for clarifying.
>
> >From a data analysis perspective I would like to be able to look at
> various subsets, eg. FD(A,B,C), FD(B,C,D), FD(A,B,C,D) etc and so this
> just means that each subset has too be computed independantly. I can
> live with that but wasn't sure if I had missed something.

Basically you only have to look at FD(A,B,C,D).
It includes all the information of FD(A,B,C) and FD(B,C,D).

> In any case, the difficulty of implementing FD precludes me from
> experimenting with it just yet.

Well, as I said, I already implemented it. What's left is to clean up the code from the statistics
of my experiments and improve the coding style and add some improvements I've been meaning to add.
The code is pretty big considering. It's about 200kb C code for the one algorithm I want to work on
for the gsoc.
And bigger if I will have time to add some of the others.