Win32 binaries test / pg_dump problem

From: "Cyril VELTER" <cyril(dot)velter(at)metadys(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Win32 binaries test / pg_dump problem
Date: 2004-05-24 17:58:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

I just gave a try to the win32 binaries in my developpement environment. I first tested it with a small database and everything appeared to work OK.

Great Works !!!!!!

After that I tried to restore a bigger one (~16Go)

restore from a 7.1.3 dump (in -d mode) : restore is VERY slow. For a very simple table 3 int8 columns, I get 32 records per second (Bi Xeon 2.4 Ghz / ide 7200 disk / 2 Go RAM) while I get around 1000 per second on a linux box (the box is similar hardware except it is 10000 rpm scsi disk, but I don't think that explain all that difference). During the import, CPU is idle and the disk is working very hard.

While running pg_dump (the windows one) from a linux 7.4.1 database to windows, the speed is comparable to linux->linux, but I got the following message :

ERROR : missing data for column "p32134"
CONTEXT: COPY c2674, line ....

After analyzing the dump, it seems to be caused by a ctrl-Z (1A) character embeded into a text column which seem to confuse the win32 psql ...