Re: serial type question

From: "Phil Geer" <philg(at)gearcc(dot)com>
To: "Ray Hunter" <rhunter(at)venticon(dot)com>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serial type question
Date: 2002-11-14 03:53:55
Lists: pgsql-php

For Question #2 this is how I handle it.

$query = pg_Exec( $dbconnect,
"select nextval(table_name_seq);");

Store that value in a variable then you can insert it into your table1 with
the serial (PK) and into the table2 as a reference.

$query = pg_Exec( $dbconnect,
"insert into table1 (serial, col1, col2)
values
(variable_set_by_nextval, data1, data2);
insert into table2 (table2_PK, table2_col1,
table2_col_that_references_table1)
values(table2_PK_data ,
table2_col1_data, variable_set_by_nextval);");

You may also want to take a look at this section of the postgresql manual
it'll be of help.

http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?functions-sequence.html

As for Question #1 it should work just fine if you do a begin and commit

$query = pg_Exec( $dbconnect,
"BEGIN WORK;
insert into table1 (serial, col1, col2)
values (variable_set_by_nextval, data1,
data2);
insert into table2 (table2_PK, table2_col1,
table2_col_that_references_table1)
values(table2_PK_data , table2_col1_data,
variable_set_by_nextval);
COMMIT WORK;");

Good Luck
Phil