Re: Elocution

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Paul Ramsey" <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 02:01:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> The bad news is, MySQL is already firmly ensconsed in the parallel
> niche for web databases, and is starting to spooge outwards from that
niche.

I'm quite active on a number of database help sites and I think that
Postgres is gaining recognition, as well as MySQL. There are more articles
that mention Postgres and more people moving to Postgres.

We should think of MySQL as expanding our market.

They are the ones getting the newbies in at the bottom end. People who
before would never have been brave enough to touch a DBMS are now getting
their hands dirty. MySQL is making databases accessible. This is only good
for Postgres. Just think small piece, but bigger pie!

As these newbies gain in ability, they start to push the database hard and
then they come up against a brick wall when they realise that MySQL simply
cannot do what they want it to do. Then they turn to PostgreSQL. I've seen
it time and time again in the newbie database forums.

Someone who has been using MySQL for years on a personal basis would be
happy, if it was required, to support a PostgreSQL installation. This is
because they know about open source databases and they know that they could
have a good crack at it. This is good for PostgreSQL because a junior admin
with no DBMS experience at all is likely to be scared of doing that and will
instead push for a commercial (Oracle, MSSQL) solution where they have no
responsibility.

That's my thoughts.

Chris