Re: code question: storing INTO relation

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: code question: storing INTO relation
Date: 2004-10-22 18:20:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> In Postgres CREATE TABLE AS is currently being treated as a synonym for
> SELECT
> ... INTO ... So I think this may be an awkward feature to add. Also, like
> reindex the logging would still be necessary for online backups. So this
> may
> be a dead-end direction in the long term.

Putting aside the CREATE TABLE AS/SELECT ... INTO vs INSERT ... SELECT
confusion, online backups seem to be an issue.

Is there any command currently, that circumvents WAL and the result is still
consistent with PITR? How is this done in other databases?
Implementing features that don't work with PITR does not feel right at all,
of course, since eventually many if not most of the people will use
continues logging.

Best Regards,
Michael