Re: Frontend/Backend protocol 3.0

From: "Sivakumar K" <sivakumark(at)pervasive-postgres(dot)com>
To: <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
Cc: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Frontend/Backend protocol 3.0
Date: 2005-06-07 08:44:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi all,

In continuation to my previous mail, here is an overview on the approach
that we have taken. We had a few design goals when we started on this
exercise.

1. ODBC driver should still support socket mode.
2. Use if-defs minimally.
3. The code change should be minimal.
4. Use a compile time flag USE_LIBPQ to switch between libPQ and socket.

During connection, we are including the pgconn into the ConnectionClass
instead of SocketClass. This part is already done.

For the resultSet, we are mapping pgresult to QResultClass in
CC_send_query. All the data returned will be added to manual_tuples in
QResultClass and the manual_result will be set to true in
StatementClass.

We are hoping there should be no more changes since only QResultClass is
used in other places.

We hope to be done on this by end of this week and will submit a patch
early next week.

Regards,
Siva Kumar.K