Re: Serious Crash last Friday

From: "Henrik Steffen" <steffen(at)city-map(dot)de>
To: "pg" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serious Crash last Friday
Date: 2002-06-19 09:35:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

unfortunately I didn't get a really helping answer from the list yet.

Additionally yesterday night there was again a problem with some SELECTs:

NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
DB-Error in /web/intern.city-map.de/www/vertrieb/wiedervorlage.pl Code 7:
before or while processing the request.

Command was:
SELECT name
FROM regionen
WHERE region='0119';
at /web/pm/CityMap/Abfragen.pm line 135

This is really annoying.

When I noticed it this morning, I dropped all indexes and recreated them.
Then I ran a VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE - afterwards the same query worked
properly again.

I have now created a cronjob that will drop and recreate all indexes on a
daily basis.
But shouldn't this be unnecessary ?

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen(at)topconcepts(dot)com Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline: +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563