Re: SQL command speed

From: "Stephan Szabo" <sszabo(at)kick(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL command speed
Date: 2000-05-18 22:02:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

I didn't see a function that would do what you wanted to do, but
I guess you could do the trimming in a plpgsql function though...
(Since I don't have a 7.0 system to test with, these were only tested
on an old 6.5.1 database)...

create function trimthe(text) returns text as '
begin
if (substr($1, 1, 4) = \'The \' then
return substr($1, 5);
end if;
-- add other prefix checks here...
return $1;
end;
' language 'plpgsql';

and then select ordering by that...

I guess a more general function could be:
create function ltrimstr(text, text) returns text as '
begin
if position($2 in $1) = 1 then
return substr($1, char_length($2)+1);
end if;