Re: Backup to Tape Incomplete

From: "Phillip Smith" <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup to Tape Incomplete
Date: 2008-02-27 05:35:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > > If you can dd the file onto your tape drive, then it's some
> > > weird interaction between pg_dump and your system I'd think.
> > > Could the be some maximum size that you can buffer through
> > > pipes / redirects on your machine?
> > >
> > > I'd test to see if cat pgdumpfile.sql > /dev/st0 works or not.
> > > If it fails at the same approximate size, then it's something
> > > to do with redirection. If tar works but redirects fail, then
> > > the problem isn't with postgresql. i.e. do something similar
> > > to what you're doing with pgsql and see which things fail and
> > > which ones don't.

> > It appears to be me :(
> >
> > [postgres(at)stirling ~]$ cat /tmp/dbname080225.sql > /dev/st0
> > cat: write error: Invalid argument
> >
> > It ran for a good 30 minutes, then died with that.

> I wonder what it's meaning by invalid arg? Is something in the
> .sql file somehow coming across as an argument? Can you cat the
> sql file to /dev/null successfully?

Yes.
[postgres(at)stirling ~]$ cat /tmp/dbname080225.sql > /dev/null
[postgres(at)stirling ~]$

THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT - Save paper if you don't really need to print this

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments
e-mail.