Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Surjective functional indexes
Date: 2018-01-18 08:59:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18.01.2018 11:38, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 10 January 2018 at 09:54, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, issue with documentation is fixed.
> OK, thanks.
>
> Patch appears to work cleanly now.
>
> I'm wondering now about automatically inferring "recheck_on_update =
> true" for certain common datatype/operators. It doesn't need to be an
> exhaustive list, but it would be useful if we detected the main use
> case of
>
> (JSONB datatype column)->>CONSTANT
>
> Seems like we could do a test to see if the index function is
> FUNCTION(COLUMNNAME, CONSTANTs...)
> {JSONB, ->>} or
> {jsonb_object_field_text(Columnname, Constant)}
> {substring(Columname, Constants...)}
>
> It would be a shame if people had to remember to use this for the
> common and obvious cases.

Right now by default index is considered as projective. So even if you
do not specify "recheck_on_update" option, then recheck will be done.
This decision is based on the assumption that most of functional indexes
are actually projective and looks likes (JSONB datatype column)->>CONSTANT.
So do you think that this assumption is not correct and we should switch
disable recheck_on_update by default?
If not, then there is an opposite challenge: find out class of functions
which definitely are not projective and recheck on them will have no sense.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company